Wikiversity:Wikiversity the Movie
|This Wikiversity page is inactive and is of historical interest. You may discuss this page on the talk page, copy all or part of this page to another page for further editing or start a new discussion about this page at the Wikiversity:Colloquium.|
Coming soon to a wiki theater near you !
This is a community-wide project to produce a promotional movie that illustrates and describes Wikiversity.
Time frame: 7th October, 2010 (ready for a Wikiversity Day)
- if you do not like the late date, change + subscribe below :-)
format: downloadable video
- Communicate What is Wikiversity? / Wikiversity:Mission
- Feature examples of original (only possible on) Wikiversity content
- Collaborative nature: Appealling to potential learners. Illustration of how the Wikiversity community functions to produce learning resources and activities.
- 23 August, 2006 - Project founded!
- 3 January, 2007 - proposed name for the video: "Wikiversity: Education in the new millennium"
- 30 December, 2007 - the goal to create a video until this date was not achieved
- 21 August 2008 - new time frame for movie proposed: 15th August 2009 (the next Wikiversity Day)
- 23 August 2008 - contacted users interested in creating music/soundtrack: see here
- 24 August 2008
- introducing a motivational slogan for the preparations on the Wikiversity movie: "Coming soon to a wiki theater near you !" (credits to User:Darklama)
- searching for additional participants (announcing at several places)
- 25 March 2010 - marketing on Wikiversity:Wikiversity Day/2010
Wikiversity has adopted the "learning by doing" model for education. Lessons should center on learning activities for Wikiversity participants. Learning materials and learning projects can be used by multiple departments. Cooperate with other departments that use the same learning resource.
These are not the real, final videos - just use them for your imagination what it could look like:
- Wikiversity shorts - participants create short (15 to 60 seconds) promotional videos for Wikiversity
- /already existing movies about Wikiversity (for reusage or generating ideas ?)
Now the detailsEdit
- /Script - participants create the script for the movie
- /Interviews - participants film interviews with students at real universities after telling them about Wikiversity (giving a handout perhaps) and inform them it is free. Shock, disbelief, scepticism will ensue, but the reactions ought to be interesting. These could be made over time until the interviewees are all from Wikipedia and/or a mix or "bricks (and mortar)" students (we could just call them "bricks" for short).
- /music - participants help make the sound track, including original music
- /multi-lingual - participants make the voice track and any text elements for all the Wikiversity project languages.
Searching for initiator:
- /Movie production
- Machinima movies - tutorial - participants make a movie using Machinima
Learning materials and learning projects are located in the main Wikiversity namespace. Simply make a link to the name of the lesson (lessons are independent pages in the main namespace) and start writing!
Related Content Development ProjectsEdit
These divisions and departments have project interests and labs involving Wikiversity the Movie:
- w:Machinima - A method for making the movie
- b:Movie Making Manual
- Digital Tipping Point- open source movie project
- How to post a video on Wikipedia
If you want to participate please sign up + list your skills/interests:
- User:JWSchmidt - also interested in a version for podcasting (info about Wikinews podcasts)
- Cormaggio - this is a fantastic idea - there's so much potential..
- User:Eliza haran caplan wonderful, yes!
- HappyCamper - yes!!
- guillom - I have (co-)written several theatre plays (some of which I have also directed and/or played in), so I'd be glad to take part in this project.
- Mr Music play a note I can help with the soundtrack.
- personaljesus - Can help with writing, maybe some editing somehow.
- CQ Enrolled in this, this, this, this, and this.. started this, starting this... proposing this.
- Alex43223 Just getting started.
- Mac_Davis. Sweet, Wikiversity looks awesome. I've got the skills and software for the soundtrack for sure, and know people that could help me. I'm quite proficient in w:Garageband, have worked with w:ProTools, and am getting into w:Logic Pro. I am a frequent video and text blogger as well, so I might be able to help where video or video software is needed. I've got iMovie HD and Final Cut. Glad to help anywhere were needed!
- Symode09. I've won various media awards and am a media student at school. I use sony vegas, sometime iMivie HD and, know all the major Adobe packages (ie. photoshop, fireworks, flash, dreamweaver) I'm really good at image manipulation, writing script and editing
- MusicWeaver. I may be available to help with the soundtrack and sound effects. I am a pianist/composer with a bachelor's in music and have produced several CD's of original music. I have all the resources to produce professional-sounding music and sound effects in common audio formats (MP3, .wav, etc.) synchronized with the video. I have a small recording studio at home, plus programs like Finale, MusicTime, Reason, Studio 8, and CoolEdit Pro. I have some experience with video editing, but audio is my area of expertise.
- Erkan Yilmaz — my motivation: When do people realize that Wikiversity is not like other Wikimedia projects ?
- Moulton — Theory of StoryCraft. "Whereof we cannot make a theory, we must tell a story instead." —Umberto Eco
- Percy - I am taking part in the Wikiversity:Mascot contest. I love the beach, swimming, fishing, and I am currently doing some research at Wikiversity on oceanography. I am also learning to play piano. I really want to participate in this project, --Percy 19:27, 27 August 2008 (UTC)
- Vicky and Verity - Since we sleep a lot we could also just be supernumeraries
- Nkav1 - I am interested in this project and can help by gathering open orchestral music for a soundtrack. I also am moderately experienced with the viola and, if anyone is interested, could participate in an online orchestra. Also, if we do a machinima movie, I can be a voice actor.
- Rlin06 - I make lots of youtube videos and I have professional video editing and producing software (Sony Vegas Pro 8.0, Camtasia Studio 6, Photoshop cs4 extended and others). I can edit and put together the video.
- Thompson I'm a film student and have access to professional video camera (both HD and non HD cameras) as well as professional video editing software (Final Cut Pro 7).
- --JulesMattsson 16:34, 30 December 2009 (UTC) Is this still going on? Well i'm a lighting camera + editor, can help if needed.
- -- Jtneill - Talk - c 23:06, 21 March 2010 (UTC) - I am a beginner with video & WV - I am trying just now to find good ways to make screencasts in ogv.
- -- Abd. We may organize under a resource a description of the history of that resource and of its success (or failure, except that failed resources may have been deleted!) This, then, could guide collection of content for a movie, including interviews with participants. Such descriptions should be linked by a category or by listing here or both. --Abd 15:47, 30 May 2010 (UTC)
Gaon Abhinava: I am Experimenting with Thinking Ideas of geniuses who lived in the past and present, so That I may Think like a Genius, I Want to Avoid being unrealistic or egotistical at all costs... I am A Scientist of Psychology, and other Sciences/Arts, all my work is a result of Practicing...Thinking like a Genius, As for my Practical Contribution to the film, I could offer, for example, insightfull ideas or visionary imagination, as realistic perspectives, as to the direction of the film and the Emotional conveyances of scripted scenes, etc...--Gaon Abhinava 17:35, 31 August 2011 (UTC) User:Tumziix:I'm in love in what your doing here on wiki.I WOULD kindly appreciate if I can create a new Movie cover that will bring interest and attraction.;)
- CyclePat: "Baccalauréat ès arts spécialisé approfondi en musique avec mineure en administration des affaire". I've studied in french. Je suis aussi connaissant des logiciels MIDI tel que Finale 2008, Garitan, EWQL choirs, symphony, etc. I will help out only upon direct request on my Wikipedia user page. (p.s.: Good luck with the coordination)(I Hope you give us more than 15 days to make the final music scores!)