Anyone can learn to be a filmmaker
- Filmmaking is easy
- Filmmaking is not rocket science. Everything about filmmaking is extremely easy to learn. Anyone can do it if they wish.
- The challenge of learning filmmaking
- The challenge is filmmaking requires learning a huge number of skills. Each skill is easy to learn but the number of things you must learn is huge.
- If you want to be an independent filmmaker, you must learn the equivalent of 20 different careers. Even if you are a fast learner, it can take you years to learn everything.
- Telling a story
- In a dramatic motion picture, the story is told by many people. The cinematographer tells the story with the camera. The lighting person tells the story with lighting. The film composer tells the story with music. The actors tell the story with action and dialog. The editor tells the story with editing. The sound designer tells the story with sound.
- You have to learn all of this
- And as an independent filmmaker, you must learn all of these skills.
- If you fail to learn even one of these skills, people will notice and be turned off by your movie. You must learn everything!!!!
Film School Preparatory
- Wikiversity Film School is a preparatory school for budding filmmakers who plan to go to film school or take classes in motion picture production.
- Each year, USC Film School receives 800 applicants to fill just 50 undergraduate positions.
- We teach you the things that film schools expect you to know before you get to film school so that you can have a base to work from when you first start film-school.
Learning filmmaking software
- Intel processor
- First, you need to do is learn about the computer software for filmmaking. See below for a list of the software you will need. Most is free!
- Designed for the Macintosh
- The Film Scoring course is designed for Apple's GarageBand with Jam Pack: Symphony Orchestra
- The Film Editing course is designed for Apple's Final Cut Pro or Adobe Premiere.
- Where possible, free Linux software is listed.
- However, there is still no standard movie file format for Linux and nothing which matches the quality and usefulness of Apple's GarageBand for film scoring.
- Therefore, Linux is currently not a good choice for filmmakers.
Where to start?
- Filmmaking, editing, and scoring
- Budding filmmakers should start with the basic filmmaking course. For the first lesson, you will format a very short motion picture script. After that, take the pop quiz where you tell me how you would begin to film this scene.
- If you want to be a film composer (but you are not a musician), screen writer, or a film editor, you can go directly to the courses in film editing or film scoring or the script writing exercise.
- If you are a musician who wants to be a film composer, click here.