Why I teach the film scoring course
- My background is in filmmaking and film editing (as well as civil engineering, computer science, and printing technology with minors in accounting and enology.)
- I do not have a musical background. But I have been forced to learn.
- When I needed music for a dramatic movie, I naturally searched out the most talent musicians I could find.
- Over the last 20 years, I discovered two things about musicians:
- 1. Good news: Musicians are extremely gifted. They are a thousand time better at creating music than I am.
- 2. Bad news: Musicians do not understand film scoring. This is because schools don't teach practical film scoring for musicians. Therefore, I can never use their music... no matter how wonderful it is.
- So when I could not find a musician who understands the purpose of film scoring, my next step was to learn to do film scoring myself. My music still sounds dreadful but now I know what is needed.
- I also learned that filmmakers and film editors are unable to communicate what they need. Therefore, musicians cannot rely on filmmakers and film editors to help them plan the score. It is a mess!
- That is why I now offer a very simple course film scoring course for free. I want to explain to musicians what filmmakers like me need from them.
- I promise to make the film scoring for musicians lessons as quick and as painless as possible.