Futurism in a general sense is concern with events and trends of the future or which anticipate the future. It was also an art movement begun in Italy in 1909 to celebrate and incorporate the energy and dynamism of modern technology. The art movement apparently ended in 1918. Perhaps it was interrupted by World War I.
Def. a "study and prediction of possible futures" is called futurism.
The future of futurismEdit
"By combining the best of three different approaches to futurism--crisis futurism, evolutionary futurism, and spiritual futurism--we can realize vast human potentials and, perhaps, even attain the next stage of human evolution."
Before hominins had large brains they first started walking upright. To evolve larger brains we need to be taller with appropriate support structure or we break our necks ever more often. To evolve the ability to fly we need to become smaller, have a lot of holes in our bones and fit our brains into a much smaller space. Or, we could invent aircraft and spacecraft and enjoy more recreational activity. There are always bills to pay.
"The effort to think systematically about the future began little more than a half-century ago, and the results so far have not been impressive. Today's futurists hope that more sophisticated methods will allow them to provide a better picture of what tomorrow may bring."
Part of the problem with accurately predicting or trying to predict the future is that hedging and investment specialists are more likely to try to own the future and its inventors and inventions to maximize their gain, especially the more accurate the predictions become.
- Wikipedia: Technological singularity
- Wikipedia: Futures studies
- Wikipedia: Systems thinking
- Wikipedia: Technology roadmap
- Wikipedia: Future workshop
- Wikipedia: Technology forecasting
- Wikipedia: Trend analysis
- Wikipedia: Futurist
- Wikipedia: Decentralized autonomous organization
- Wikipedia: InterPlanetary File System
- Wikipedia: Accelerating change
- Wikipedia: List of emerging technologies
- Wikipedia: Outline of futures studies
- Wikipedia: Singularity University - How can business and futurism intersect?
- Wikipedia: Artificial uterus - a potential future technology that could eliminate physical suffering from child birth and reduce political conflicts.
- Wikipedia: NASA Institute for Advanced Concepts
- Wikipedia: Ledger (journal) - Peer-reviewed academic journal covering research on all aspects of cryptocurrencies and blockchain technology, including mathematics, computer science, engineering, law, economics and philosophy.
- How can a better understanding of futurism and futurology help to better and benefit humanity and society?
- How do futurism, business, and economics intersect? What research could be disseminated in relation to such intersections?