Hold that thought!
- How do you end the melody?
- Do not just fade the melody.
- Instead, hold the last note.
- Remember the basics
- Remember that you can play a single note or a delicate rhythm behind dialog. Those are the only two forms of music which will not conflict with the spoken words of the actors.
- Therefore, if you hold the last note, it is almost like holding that thought while the actors begin their dialog. Then you can slowly fade the single note.
How long should the melody be?
- How long should the melody be?
- The melody has to be only as long as needed to create the mood or story. For a story, the melody can be just enough that the audience recognizes the melody.
- That can be as short as two notes. You do not have to play the entire melody. Just create the hint.
- Remember, this is supposed to be subtle.