Melodies can be themes
- Another use of melodies
- You can use a melody as theme (a motiv).
- Associating a melody with an actor, location, or action
- In a movie, there are always themes. There are the "good guy" and the "bad guy". There is the "romantic love interest".
- Some locations can have special meaning to the characters in the movie.
- Certain actions can evoke certain feelings in the audience.
- All of these need musical themes. A musical theme is simple melody which create s specific feeling.
Controlling the audience
- Spoon feed the audience
- It might seem unnecessary to the filmmaker but audiences like to be told what his going on. Audiences want the movie explained to them.
- The only easy way to do this is with music. And the easiest way to do this is with musical themes.
- When the bad guys appear, play a musical theme for the bad guys.
- When the children appear, play a bright and bubbly theme for children (assuming you want the audience to like the children in your motion picture.)
- When the love interest appears on the movie, play a romantic theme.