Welcome to the learning project on Basic Chemistry!
This course will be developed at a level suitable for 11-14 year olds, equivalent to formal education level Key Stage 3 (UK) or Grades 6-8 (US).
Learning project summaryEdit
The study of chemistry which this learning project provides includes:
- the particle model provides explanations for the different physical properties and behaviour of matter
- elements consist of atoms that combine together in chemical reactions to form compounds
- this includes the development and organisation of elements in the Periodic Table
- this includes the different properties of compounds due to the number and type of atoms and their arrangement
- elements and compounds show characteristic chemical properties and patterns in their behaviour
- this can be exemplified by the reactions of metals and non-metals, and acids and bases
- geological activity is caused by chemical and physical changes
- this includes the rock cycle processes, rock formation and weathering
- human activity and natural processes can lead to changes in the environment
Add learning materials here. See also the box below.
Readings and other resourcesEdit
Each project/lesson/activity may have a suggested reading selection. For example:
1. Particle theoryEdit
- Lesson 1: States of matter
- covers the 3 states of matter (solids, liquids and gases) in terms of particle theory
- Lesson 2: Physical changes
- covers changes of state (heating/cooling), pressure, diffusion, dissolving and solubility
2. Atoms and elementsEdit
- Lesson 1: Atoms and elements
- covers the periodic table, atoms and elements
- Lesson 2: Compounds
- covers compounds and naming compounds
- Lesson 3: Mixtures
- covers mixtures and separation techniques
3. Materials and reactionsEdit
- Lesson 1: Properties of metals and non-metals
- covers the properties of metals and of non-metals, and exceptional materials
- Lesson 2: Chemical reactions
- covers simple chemical changes, balancing equations, and laboratory basics
- Lesson 3: Reactions of metals
- covers the reactivity series, reactions of metals and metal displacement reactions
- Lesson 4: Acids and alkalis
- covers acids and alkalis, the pH scale and neutralisation reactions (making salts)
4. Geology and the environmentEdit
- Lesson 1: Rocks and the rock cycle
- covers rocks and the rock cycle
- Lesson 2: Pollution and the atmosphere
- covers pollution, the greenhouse effect and acid rain
- Activity 1:
- Activity 2:
Tests and quizzesEdit
- Test 1: State the form by which matter exist.
- Quiz 1: Which state of matter matches the shape of a container?
- Test 2: Give a summary of a material in a solid state explaining its properties.
- Quiz 2: What are the conditions that determines how strong particles stick together?
- Test 3: Give a practical explanation of the change in state of a solid matter to liquid and vice versa.
- Quiz 3: What is diffusion? Give a practical example of any object or material that applies this theory.
Active participants in this Learning Group