Wikiversity workshop at Wikimania 2007
This proposed workshop in Wikimania 2007 will explore how learning could work in Wikiversity. It is intended to be a participative, discursive session - and also to yield ideas that can be practically implemented afterwards. Please discuss this workshop's scope or structure on the talk page, or edit this page with your own ideas.
Draft structure edit
Introduction: Overview of Wikiversity activity - hopefully prompted by paper submission and presentation (5-10 mins)
Activity: Split into groups for discussion about each of the following questions:
1) What do the following things look like done in a "wiki way"?
- Learning activity
- Learning community
- Research group
2) What is learning by doing? How can activities be organised that really engage learners, ie that are relevant to their lives/needs/interests?
3) How can Wikiversity interface with other Wikimedia projects (and others too)? Think about working together on linking up information and learning, and feeding this learning back into creating resources.
Questions for both groups:
- What are the implications of doing all of these things a wiki way? What possible strengths and weaknesses are inherent in the wiki model?
(5 mins organising of mini-groups; 20 mins mini-group discussion)
Discussion (Back to whole group): Pool together thoughts into large brainstorm about what implications these ideas have for Wikiversity, and how they can be put into practice (or integrated with current practice). (20 mins)
Materials required edit
- White/blackboard to put up main points (ie activity questions)
- Paper and markers!!!
- Roving video camera and mics (?), as well as fixed recording device (minimum audio)
Interested participants edit
Physically attending Wikimania edit
Please list yourself if you are going to be at Wikimania, and if you would be interested in this workshop. Also indicate if you would like to help facilitate the workshop.
Not physically attending but interested in participating remotely edit
If you will not be at Wikimania but would like to participate remotely, please sign here.
Issues to be addressed before the workshop.
Remote participation edit
How can we facilitate the involvement of people remotely? Will this be limited to the monitoring and storing of questions in IRC and discussing them within the session? Cormaggio talk 14:49, 14 May 2007 (UTC)
If we are going to be using some "roving" recording devices (such as video cameras and mics) how can we be sure whether people taking part in the session will want to be recorded. If people want to "opt out" of being recorded, how will this affect the "recordability" of the smaller or larger groups' discussions? Cormaggio talk 14:49, 14 May 2007 (UTC)