MediaWiki php-scripts relay on some database engine, but the tables of this database are practically non-available to users, and so is limited. It is not useful for users to store their own tables or list-objects for example.
Using the Semantic MediaWiki extension we could workaround such a restriction. We attempted to have that extension installed into the Wikimedia projects, but our requests to do so, on the Czech Wikiversity for example, have not yet been satisfied.
- Create the testing wiki on some server which has the semantic extensions implemented yet
- Installing and trying the semantic extensions on some own server with root permissions. Testing, searching for the optimal configuration, to gain basicall know-how. The sandbox server would be an ideal place for such experimental work.
- Create the page "Wikidata" on en:, de:, get the co-workers and obtain international support for this project
- Request for installing semantic extensions on the betawikiversity: and continue there with further experiments – this approach will be more secure as here on the czech wikiversity. Moreover on the betavikiversity is traditionally good language co-operation so there will be a optimal place for testing the multilingual projects. Maybe such solution will be better than the incubator:.
- Request for a mediagrant m:Wikimedia chapters/WMF grants for the fiskal year 2010/11 for support of this project