WikiJournal User Group
Open access • Publication charge free • Public peer review • Wikipedia-integrated
- Garner, Bryan A. Garner's Modern English Usage. 4th ed. New York: Oxford University Press, 2016.
- Stein, Sol. Stein on Writing. New York: St. Martin's Press, 1995.
- Strunk, William Jr., and E. B. White. The Elements of Style. 4th ed. New York: Longman, 1999.
- Zinsser, William. On Writing Well. 7th ed., rev.. New York: Harper Collins, 2006.
- American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language Online. https://ahdictionary.com/ . COMMENT: The best for pithy definitions.
- Merriam-Webster.com Dictionary. https://www.merriam-webster.com/ . COMMENT: Solid, reliable definitions.
- Oxford Languages via Google. Search Google for the word or, if you do not see a definition right away, search for the word + "definition". COMMENT: Fast & reliable. Not as comprehensive as Merriam-Webster. Not as concise as American Heritage.
- Oxford English Dictionary (OED Online). https://www.oed.com/ . COMMENT: The best for etymology; eloquent.
- Webster's Third New International Dictionary of the English Language, Unabridged, ed. Philip B. Gove (Springfield, MA: G. & C. Merriam, 1961, 1993, periodically updated as Merriam-Webster Unabridged), https://unabridged.merriam-webster.com/unabridged/ . COMMENT: Exquisitely written and comprehensive.
- American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language. 5th ed., rev. Boston: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2018. (Usually marketed as "50th Anniversary edition.")
- Webster's Third New International Dictionary of the English Language, Unabridged. Edited by Philip B. Gove. Springfield, MA: Merriam-Webster, 1961, rev. 1993.