The US Presidents/George Washington
|Please share your thoughts about whether to merge this page with President of the United States/George Washington.|
|Revolution||1st President||2nd President|
For an in depth look at the 1st US President, follow this link: George Washington.
Elected: 1st Term in 1789 (only US election to occur in an odd-numbered year)
Elected: 2nd Term in 1792
Presidency: 1789 to 1797
Major US Laws Edit
The following is a list of major laws in US History signed by George Washington during his presidency:
Major US Events Edit
The following is a list of major events in US History during the presidency of George Washington:
- US governmental operations started under the new US Constitution on March 4, 1789.
- The first session of the Supreme Court convened on February 2, 1790.
- The Whiskey Rebellion was quelled by state militia in 1794, proving the strength of the new Constitution.
- Vermont (1791), Kentucky (1792), and Tennessee (1796) joined the Union.
Foreign Affairs Edit
The following is a list of events in US Foriegn Affairs during the presidency of George Washington:
Major World Events Edit
The following is a list of major events in World History during the presidency of George Washington:
- The French Revolution began, establishing the First French Republic.
- George Washington had nothing to with it the first 3 years.
Interesting Facts Edit
- George Washington was the only US president ever to have been elected unanimously by the Electoral College, which he was during both terms.
- Washington refused to run for a third term once his second term was done, setting a precedent for future presidents, a tradition which held until Franklin Delano Roosevelt's third election in 1940.