TESOL/Talking about fears
Talking about fearsEdit
- I'm afraid/scared/terrified of (noun/-ing)
- I can't stand (noun/-ing)
- crowded places
- confined spaces
- dark places
- get sweaty (palms)
- feel dizzy
- your legs/hands shake
- Topic question: What were you afraid of when you were younger?
- Example: I was afraid of heights.
- Drill with names of fears.
- heights: I'm terrified of heights.
- the dark: I'm terrified of the dark.
- confined spaces: I'm terrified of confined spaces.
- Drill with situations that cause the fear.
- Even looking over the balcony makes me scared.
- Elaborate with physical reactions.
- My legs start to shake.
Work together and decide which of these is the scariest: heights, snakes, or the dark.
I will give you one minute to discuss. Ready?
Which was your first choice. Why?
Which was your last choice? Why?