- Read Genesis 3:1-7
- Contrast the temptation of Adam with the temptation of Christ in Matthew 4:1-11. What is similar? what is different?
- Read Genesis 3:8-21
- Contrast the clothing made by Adam & Eve with the clothing made by God. Why do you suppose clothing was needed in the first place?
- Is there any order to the way in which God approaches the three transgressors? (the serpent, Adam, and Eve) To the way God punishes them?
- Read Genesis 3:21-24
- Observe the physical results of disobedience. Do they have any spiritual counterparts?
Genesis 3:1 - 6 :: Adam Fails, Christ SucceedsEdit
Genesis 3:8 - 20 :: The Curse and the PromiseEdit
Genesis 3:22 - 24 :: Separation From GodEdit
Genesis 3:7, 21 :: Faith vs. WorksEdit
In verses 7 and 21, we are presented with two types of clothing - garments made of fig leaves, and garments made of animal skin. These two types of covering are typical of works-based and faith-based religion (respectively), in a couple of ways.
- Adam and Eve created the fig-leaf coverings themselves, whereas God provided them with animal skin clothing.
- Plants are in many ways significant of man's work in scripture. Before the fall, man's primary task was to "tend and keep" the garden
- ↑ Gen 2:15, Gen 3:17-19
- ↑ Gen 2:15