PCP HIV AIDS Toolkit/HIV Transmission/Handout D: Instructions for Male Condom Use
PCP HIV AIDS Toolkit → Handout D: Instructions for Male Condom Use
Handout D: Instructions for Male Condom UseEdit
Although many people assume that all men know how to correctly use condoms, incorrect use is common and is a major cause of condom failure.
- Do not use grease, oils, lotions, or petroleum jelly to make the condom slippery. These substances can make the condom break. Use only jelly or cream that does not have oil in it.
- Use a new condom each time you have sex.
- Use a condom once only.
- Store condoms in a cool, dry place.
Do not use a condom if:
- The package is broken.
- The condom is brittle or dried out.
- The color is uneven or has changed.
- The condom is unusually sticky.
- It is old or damaged.