Future media class
Future Media is a team taught class at Oral Roberts University with instructors from art, music, multimedia and communication arts. Course content will emphasize new media communication technologies and emerging career opportunities being generated by interactive, immersive, multistory, multimedia technologies. Some historical perspectives will be included in in the course in order to understand predicted future trends.
Entrepreneurs, Artists, Musicians and Multimedia ExpertsEdit
- Media Fads Versus Paradigm Shifts
- Social Networking - An On-Line Phenomenon
- Viral Media
- Multi-sensory Media Is About To Explode
- Virtual Experiences: Now More Like Our Real World
- Emerging Technologies: Preparing For The Next Job Market
- User Generated Media
- Media Convergence
- Field Trip Feedback
- Learning Resources
About This ClassEdit
Typical classes will include demonstrations, field trips, and other “learn by doing” experiences. Speakers and panelists will include industry professionals, alumni, professors, and students with expertise in fields mentioned above. The class will meet some guests via big screen video conferencing with two way audio. Software tools for lab work will include, but be limited to: graphic editing (Adobe Photoshop), audio editing (Adobe Audition), video editing (Apple Final Cut Pro).
No text is required, however, students will be required to contribute regularly to an on-line Wikibook. The majority of course procedure communications between students, faculty, guest speakers and others will take place on Facebook. On-line software required for class participation will include, but not be limited to: Wikibooks.org, Facebook, Desire2learn, del-ic-ious.com, alexaholic.com, and flickr.com.
In this class you CAN expect to:Edit
- Experience an overview of historical and emerging industry trends in graphic design, music technology, and multimedia.
- Be able to define the marketable skills, attitudes and strategies demanded by future careers.
- Experience how technology is affecting world wide social development.
- Discuss some differences between a Believer’s media perspective and secular developers who might focus primarily on profit and entertainment value.
- Be amazed and sometimes overwhelmed by what you can do with interactive media.
- Learn techniques to locate, organize and analyze emerging communication technologies.
In this class you can NOT expect to:Edit
- Be a passive listener while others do most of the talking in class.
- Participate only on course meeting days. Facebook and the Wiki require regular attention.
- Read a standard text book. You will write your own book in WIKIbooks.