Digital Media Concepts/Joe Rogan Experience
The Joe Rogan Experience is a podcast that was first streamed in December 2009 by Joe Rogan. Rogan is a stand up comedian, a commentator for the UFC, former host of the hit TV show Fear Factor, and a podcast house. He has various guests who prominent people in our modern culture. As of March 5, 2019, the podcast is the second most listened podcast on the itunes Podcast Chart.
|First Aired December 24, 2009|
|Host: Joe Rogan|
The Joe Rogan Experience podcast first episode was streamed December 24, 2009. The show was at a first a low budget weekly show with a couple of people sitting in front of a computer webcam and recording themselves. In May 2011, the podcast had its own deal with Serious XM, and the YoutubeChannel for the shows was started. Now it is a full blown production with a full studio with top of the line sound equipment. As of today, the podcast has over one thousand shows and streams on average of four times a week. The shows Youtube channel currently has 7.61 million subscribers and has over 1 billion views (as of Match 6, 2020). The podcast covers a variety of topics ranging from politics, science, comedy, martial arts, and modern issues
Joe Rogan has various guests including comedians, politicians, artists, athletes, friends of Rogan, and many more. Some well known guests include Elon Musk, Mike Tyson, Wiz Khalifa, Kevin Hart, Robert Downey Jr., Alex Jones, Bernie Sanders, Dana White, Edward Snordon, Neil deGrasse Tyson, and many more.
According to Discover Pods, the most popular episodes of the pod include:
- Episode #1169 Elon Musk
- Episode #543 Sam Harris
- Episode #1109 Matthew Walker
- Episode #450 Dr. Rhonda Patrix
- Episode #1227 Mike Tyson
- Episode #142 Graham Hancock
- Episode #1171 Nick Yarris
- Episode #919 Neil deGrasse Tyson
- Episode #285 Tim Ferriss
- Episode #501 Randall Carlson
Some highly anticipated and potential guests include Kanye West, Dave Chappelle, Bobby Lee, Tony Ferguson, Mike Posner, Daniel Cormier, Derrick Lewis, Sylvester Stallone, Jamie Foxx, Megyn Kelly, and many more.
The podcast was nominated for Best Podcast in the 2018 Shorty Awards. The podcast won Best Comedy Podcast in the 2019 IHeart Radio Awards, and is nominated for the 2020 awards. .
Impact and Controversies
Since the podcast is a huge platform with millions of listeners, it has an impact on what goes on in our modern culture. In the 2020 Democratic Presidential Election, Joe Rogan interviewed three of the candidates: Tulsi Gabbard, Bernie Sanders, and Andrew Yang. Rogan reported that three more candidates asked to be on the show because they thought that it would bring more attention and followers to their campaign. According to Vox, when Andrew Yang had appeared on the show, the show got over 2 million views on Youtube and he got many people donate to his campaign which helped him vastly. When Rogan stated that he was probably going to vote for Bernie Sanders on the podcast, Bernie used that announcement to help his campaign, but there was much controversy as people complained that it wasn't good for the campaign because he made offensive comments about transgenders in the past.
When Tesla and SpaceX CEO Elon Musk was on the podcast, it made breaking news as he appeared to be smoking marijuana while doing the show. This had a huge impact as the share price for his company Tesla dropped, and many felt like it contributed to the struggles that the company was facing at the time.
Joe Rogan had well known conspiracy theorist Alex Jones. Many people found this offensive because Jones has made many questionable and offensive theories about controversial topics and atrocities, such as the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting.
- Staff, D. P. (2020, March 2). The 25 Best Joe Rogan Experience Podcast Episodes: Discover the Best Podcasts: Discover Pods. Retrieved March 8, 2019, from https://discoverpods.com/joe-rogan-experience-podcast-jre-episodes/
- Upcoming Guests on the Joe Rogan Experience Podcast. (2020, March 9). Retrieved March 9, 2020, from https://jrelibrary.com/upcoming-guests/
- Beauchamp, Z. (2020, January 24). Bernie Sanders's Joe Rogan experience. Retrieved March 9, 2020, from https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2020/1/24/21080234/bernie-sanders-joe-rogan-experience-endorsement-controversy
- Matthews, D. (2019, June 15). Andrew Yang, Reddit and 4chan's favorite Democratic long shot for president, explained. Retrieved March 9, 2020, from https://www.vox.com/2019/3/11/18256198/andrew-yang-gang-presidential-policies-universal-basic-income-joe-rogan
- Stevens, M. (2020, January 24). Why a Joe Rogan Endorsement Could Help (or Backfire on) Bernie Sanders. Retrieved from https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/24/us/politics/bernie-sanders-endorsement-joe-rogan.html
- Placido, D. D. (2019, March 1). Alex Jones And Joe Rogan Made Peace With A Bizarre Podcast. Retrieved March 9, 2020, from https://www.forbes.com/sites/danidiplacido/2019/02/28/alex-jones-and-joe-rogan-made-peace-with-a-bizarre-podcast/#4c2104277da3
- The Joe Rogan Experience. (n.d.). Retrieved March 9, 2020, from https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6567314/awards
- Mastrogiannis, N. (2019, January 19). 2019 iHeartRadio Podcast Awards: Full List of Winners. Retrieved from https://www.iheart.com/content/2019-01-18-2019-iheartradio-podcast-awards-full-list-of-winners/