Digital Media Concepts/Education with Generative AI
In the ever-evolving landscape of education, the incorporation of artificial intelligence (AI) and generative AI tools is raising critical questions and reshaping traditional pedagogical approaches. The emergence in popularity with AI has captured many people even its creators by surprised but it also raises questions when using it in an educational setting. Many believe that technology like ChatGPT are a cause for concern when in regard to academic integrity as students would be using this tool to complete assignments while others see this has another tool to teach and accelerate education.
Use of AI edit
- Generative AI, like ChatGPT, can serve as an educational assistant to educators, offering support in teaching and learning by supplementing traditional pedagogical approaches.
- Generative AI tools can enable innovative use-cases in the classroom, such as personalized tutoring, encouraging creativity, and extracurricular engagement with topics of interest.
- Generative AI can help expand educational goals by fostering skill development, encouraging thinking processes, and enabling interaction between educators, students, and AI tools.
- Generative AI can promote synergistic relationships between educators, students, and AI tools, leading to new approaches to teaching and learning.
- The use of AI tools can potentially provide quality educational experiences to all, helping to address educational disparities and inequalities.
- The accuracy of generative AI tools are still a work in progress as the organizations need to train the AI models enough for it to give satisfactory results.
- Hallucinations: Generative AI models, when fed bad data could hallucinate and create inaccurate outputs.
Co-existing with AI edit
Ways of preventing or detecting AI content being used in assignments.
- A student from Princeton University created GPTZero which claims to detect AI written content with confidence.
- Popular plagiarism detection site Turnitin also made their own AI writing detector which helps in identifying text created with generative AIs.
- Some teachers are removing technology altogether, opting for use of the classic pen and paper for quizzes and tests and supervising student essays.
Ways of using generative AI in a way that is productively beneficial and encouraging.
- Set explicit boundaries for the use of AI tools as early as possible.
- Use the hallucinations of gAI's as a way to promote library resources and encourage more credible sources.
- Force creative thought out of students by making them produce work throughout the thinking and writing process.
External Links edit
- "The inside story of how ChatGPT was built from the people who made it". MIT Technology Review. Retrieved 2023-10-21.
- "Combating Academic Dishonesty, Part 6: ChatGPT, AI, and Academic Integrity | Academic Technology Solutions". academictech.uchicago.edu. Retrieved 2023-10-22.
- "What are AI hallucinations? | IBM". www.ibm.com. Retrieved 2023-10-22.
- "AI Writing Detection". help.turnitin.com. Retrieved 2023-10-22.