Was 9/11 an inside job?
|This resource is a wikidebate, a collaborative effort to compile and organize all positions, arguments and objections on a given issue. This is not a place to defend your preferred point of view, though original arguments are welcome. See the Wikidebate guidelines for more.|
The September 11, 2001 attacks in New York City and Washington D.C. forever changed the landscape of American culture and geopolitics around the globe. Is the official explanation of who conducted the attacks accurate and reliable? Or is it possible that some government agents had inside information or even planned the attack itself?
9/11 was an inside jobEdit
- Argument for — There is evidence of insider trading shortly prior to the attacks, which suggests that many people anticipated the attack. It's hard to imagine that such information would reach the ears of traders yet remain unknown to surveillance networks such as ECHELON. Even aside from that, a large uptick in put options for a handful of colocated organizations and their insurers is probably not a good sign, and a rather obvious feature to look for if one wanted to predict such attacks. The 500+ page 9/11 commission report only seems to mention possible insider trading in a one-paragraph endnote to chapter five, and they seem to write the abnormal trading off as a coincidence (which is crazy) and state that the (unnamed) traders had no connection with the attacks. A significant portion of these trades were made through Alex Brown inc. whose former president A. B. Krongard was appointed executive director of the CIA on March 16, 2001. This was not mentioned in the 9/11 commission report. Krongard also had ties with Israel. Perhaps an incidental connection but it seems like a very relevant detail, and apparently he is of Jewish descent. Unfortunately, critical perspectives on Zionism and Israel are frequently quashed with accusations of antisemitism, despite conflicts of interest that might exist between Zionists and citizens of the United States. Even now at the time of writing this in 2021 it's a topical subject, with Mark Ruffalo withdrawing his criticism of the Israel-Hamas conflict. (Note from editor: I'm not necessarily opposed to Zionism per se, but it's disturbing to see legitimate criticism being conflated with antisemitism.) Many of these same points have been incorporated into high-profile antisemitic propaganda. It is difficult to tease them apart from the antisemitic connotations that have been attached to them, but one must make this distinction or risk perceived association with antisemitic "movements". This is a truly unfortunate state of affairs, and has an incredibly powerful chilling effect. Legitimate information and criticism is often laced with disinformation and repackaged/published as a fringe conspiracy theory, and one has to wonder who benefits most from this phenomenon. It's not the average Jewish American and certainly not the average gentile American, but the people who have an interest in obscuring such information. Further evidence of a Zionist motive for involvement in the middle east comes from the comments of Philip Zelikow, the executive director of the 9/11 commission. Some allege that he is a dual citizen of the U.S. and Israel, but I was unable to verify that information. There is also strong evidence that Saddam Hussein intended to oppose the petrodollar system, rejecting payment in USD less than a year before 9/11/2001, which would have undermined the power and authority of the The Federal Reserve, an independent central bank that was chartered shortly before the great depression and has controlled the supply of USD ever since. They do not issue USD to the treasury, but buy and sell bonds on the open market, and this is essentially why we are so deeply in debt from our involvement in the middle east. A significant fraction of our debt is owned by foreigners  and The Fed, to whom the U.S. government must also pay interest. In other words, the people of the United States had very little to gain from the war, and so if we ask "Cui Bono?", the answer is mostly Israel and foreign money lenders. It was an "inside job" in the sense that our government has been subverted and used against the interests of the American people, causing untold suffering to millions and destroying our economy and international reputation, while the profiteers have gotten away scot-free and now live lives of incredible luxury. Continued below...
- Argument for — But wait, there's more! Larry Silverstein bought the WTC in January 2001 and insured it, and spent a lot of time at the buildings in the subsequent months. Summarizing the relevant parts of that Wiki page: "Silverstein has said in interviews that he usually spent his mornings in breakfast meetings at Windows on the World on top of the World Trade Center North Tower, and with new tenants in the building. However, the morning of September 11, 2001, his wife insisted that he attend a medical appointment. Due to the appointment, he escaped almost certain death". Apparently not satisfied with the payout he was offered, "Following the September 11, 2001, attacks, Silverstein sought to collect double the face amount (~$7.1 billion) on the basis that the two separate airplane strikes into two separate buildings constituted two occurrences within the meaning of the policies". He sued the insurance companies and eventually won over four billion dollars. Silverstein is well-connected in Israel. Paul Wolfowitz was 28th United States Deputy Secretary of Defense, appointed in March 2001, is often called the "architect of the Iraq war" and has been a longtime supporter of Israel.
- Argument for — Besides the twin towers, one more building in the World Trade Center complex collapsed, namely the 7 World Trade Center. This building was not hit by any plane, nor did it receive much more debris damage than any of the other buildings surrounding the twin towers. It did catch on fire and burn for some hours, but not nearly enough to make the building collapse as completely and as fast as it did, at nearly free-fall speed for the first few seconds of its collapse. Prior to 9/11 no steel-framed high rise building had ever collapsed because of fire. But if the fire didn't cause the collapse, then the only remaining explanation is a controlled demolition, which would implicate high-level government officials. As extra support, some suspicious "drills" were reported that day on the building.
- Objection — The fires did not knock out all of the supports at once. They weakened the supports around column 79, causing floors 8 to 14 to collapse in the inside of the building. This then led to column 79 failing, causing the east penthouse to collapse, damaging surrounding columns. This set off a chain reaction of columns failing from the east side to the west side. This meant that the full weight of the building was loaded onto the perimeter support, which buckled between floors 7 and 17 eight seconds after the east penthouse collapsed, causing the remaining exterior of the building to collapse as a single unit. So the collapse was not instant and can be explained by fires. You then say that this is unheard of and I cannot provide an example of a similar collapse. That's absolutely correct. It was completely unheard of for a high rise to have its lower floors on fire for many hours without firefighters stopping the fire. But it happened on 9/11.
- Objection — There was no evidence of the explosives required for a controlled demolition.
- Objection — Seriously?  
- Argument for — Husley, L. 2019. A Structural Reevaluation of the Collapse of World Trade Center 7. Institute of Northern Engineering: "...The principal conclusion of our study is that fire did not cause the collapse of WTC 7 on 9/11, contrary to the conclusions of NIST and private engineering firms that studied the collapse. The secondary conclusion of our study is that the collapse of WTC 7 was a global failure involving the near-simultaneous failure of every column in the building...."
- Objection — No tests were conducted for the presence of explosives residue and operational protocol (not to mention basic common sense) stipulates that these tests should have occurred. Without either being inside the building or having video footage of the interior of the building at the time, there is no reliable way for you to reach the conclusions you have reached, making the specificity of your claims outright preposterous. You are certainly correct that there was a chain reaction; however, this chain reaction could have been caused by the building's resistance to gravity being compromised by explosives.
- Argument for — The September 11 attacks were a thinly-veiled excuse to invade Iraq in order to establish American dominance, get oil, and to vindicate the first Bush Presidency's defense of Kuwait in the 1990s during the first Persian Gulf War.
- Objection — Although the United States may have used this terrorist attack as a pretense for empire-building, that doesn't mean they caused it or allowed it to happen with prior knowledge. It's possible and even plausible that once the attack occurred they simply saw an opportunity and took it. It's also reasonable that different actors in the federal government had some complex motivations including retribution for the attacks as well as expansionism.
- Objection — The USA imports little oil from the Middle East, with around 50% coming from North America and less than 15% from the Persian Gulf. It's not cheap oil if it requires shipping across the 12,000 miles between the two locations, and so Oil is not a good explanation for the attack to have been planned.
- Argument for — Osama Bin Laden had been an ally of the CIA before, if anyone remembers the Afghan-Soviet war, so it would be plausible that he had a connection with the US government in order to mount the attack via his terrorist cell and give the government an excuse for invasion in the middle east, an invasion which did produce many exclusive oil contracts afterwards, including those of Halliburton, an enterprise related to Dick Cheney and the Bush administration. Besides, it took quite a while for the US to find and kill Osama, not until the Obama administration.
- Argument against — Any possible motive for the government to do this would not need to be executed in this way.
- Objection — Citizens experiencing fear/anger are easier to manipulate, and this is being used as a tool to herd the populace into further wars.
- Argument against — The events of 9/11 can be explained far more simply as terrorist attacks than a complex conspiracy with unclear motivation.
- Argument against — There is no evidence of members of the conspiracy, even though this would require the perfect silence of a large amount of individuals at different levels of government, when the government has a difficult time keeping far less scandalous secrets hidden. Such theories strain credulity and there is simply no reason to accept them other than the desire to believe them.
- Objection — They also have less reason to keep "far less scandalous" secrets hidden. Why would they resort to strong-arm tactics and censorship to cover up minor scandals? That makes no sense.
- Objection — You haven't provided an argument here so much as an abuse of language. What the US government claimed happened was a complex conspiracy involving an international terrorist organisation. The US government has so far been unable to prove this is what happened, making it a theory. Somehow, many people in America (and worldwide) seem to have been convinced that critically questioning the US government's theory about an al Qaeda conspiracy makes one a conspiracy theorist. The very logic of language itself reveals the lunacy in slandering those who dispute the US government's 9/11 narrative with egregious smear attacks like, "conspiracy theorist" or "twofer". These are just simple lawyer's tricks, purpose-built to attack the credibility of the opposition.
- Argument against — Soon after the event, Al-Qaeda claimed responsibility for the attack.
- Objection — Al-Qaeda are probably not above claiming responsibility for something they didn't actually do if it furthers their organisation's goals. If 9/11 were an inside job, Al-Qaeda would probably claim responsibility anyway either unprompted or at the suggestion of whatever secretive cabal really did it.
- Objection — This is simply false. Whoever perpetrated the attack tried to fabricate evidence implicating the leader of al Qaeda in the form of a video tape. This video tape has been declared fraudulent by numerous scholars, including Professor Bruce Lawrence who, according to the Daily Mirror (UK), is the world's "foremost authority on (Osama) bin Laden". The actual Osama bin Laden gave two public interviews after 9/11 occurred in which his identity was confirmed. He categorically denied all involvement in both. The solitary link the US government has between al Qaeda and the 9/11 attacks is the written confession of a man claiming to be Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, who provided his confession after being waterboarded a reported 183 times at Guantanamo Bay. Moreover, Khalid Sheikh Mohammed was reported by the Asian Press to have died during an ISI raid in Karachi in 2002. There is literally no proof the man being held in US custody is even Khalid Sheikh Mohammed in the first place.
- Objection — Professor Bruce Lawrence, the gentleman who you claimed to have made a comment about the allegedly "fraudulent" video from al-Qaeda, is a Humanities Professor of Religion at Duke University and publishes books about the Islamic faith. The only public comment he has ever made even slightly related to the 9/11 attacks is that he believes that Islam has no connection with terrorism. Besides, The Daily Mirror is a British tabloid that has published stories that were later revealed to be a hoax.
- Argument against — It would be impossible to keep a conspiracy this large secret. Someone would have leaked reliable and verifiable information at some point and every journalist in the world would be keen to break the biggest story in the 21st century.
- Objection — The conspiracy that official story says committed the 9/11 attacks was a single Al-Qaeda cell, why should the conspiracy that really did it necessarily be much bigger to the point that discovery is inevitable?
- Objection — They sign NDAs and it's probably difficult to "leak" information anonymously due to the advanced SIGINT capabilities of various governmental agencies e.g. the NSA. Even if you could, there's no guarantee that any given journalist isn't actually an informant. Snowden probably lives in constant fear of extradition and cannot return to his home country on pain of lifelong imprisonment. Russia could turn him over on a whim if he gets on their bad side too. It's hardly a way to live. His situation gives us information about the mindset, culture, and motivations of the people involved in such organizations. They can do no such thing as "leak information", or rather, they cannot be relied upon to do so.
Notes and referencesEdit
- Poteshman, Allen M. (2006). "Unusual Option Market Activity and the Terrorist Attacks of September 11, 2001". The Journal of Business 79 (4): 1703–1726. doi:10.1086/503645. ISSN 0021-9398. https://www.jstor.org/stable/10.1086/503645.
- "9/11 conspiracy theories". Wikipedia. 2021-03-31. https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=9/11_conspiracy_theories&oldid=1015278683.
- "Mystery of terror 'insider dealers'". The Independent. 2014-04-04. Retrieved 2021-05-31.
- Atkinson, Bill. "Alex. Brown chief bullish on Israel despite violence". baltimoresun.com. Retrieved 2021-05-31.
- "IRAQ: War Launched to Protect Israel - Bush Adviser". Inter Press Service. 2004-03-29. Retrieved 2021-05-31.
- Dowell, William (2000-11-13). "Foreign Exchange: Saddam Turns His Back on Greenbacks". Time. ISSN 0040-781X. Retrieved 2021-05-31.
- "List of countries by external debt".
- "Thousands in US rally for Israel", BBC News, April 15, 2002, accessed April 18, 2007.
- WTC911demolition (2011-10-02), WTC Building 7 Collapse - 23 angles, retrieved 2019-06-16
- Thompson, Kristy D. (2011-06-30). "Final Reports from the NIST World Trade Center Disaster Investigation". NIST. Retrieved 2019-06-16.
- "How to Debunk WTC Thermite".
- "Environmental anomalies at the World Trade Center - evidence for energetic materials" (PDF).