Social Victorians/1894 Hood-Evans Wedding

LogisticsEdit

  • 31 July 1894
  • Cricket St. Thomas Church, near Chard

Related EventsEdit


Who Was PresentEdit

  1. W. Herbert Evans
  2. Rosa Hood
  3. Alexander Gye
  4. Miss Ferguson of Pitfour
  5. Lady Victoria Seymour
  6. Miss Sybil Hood
  7. Miss Mabel Gye
  8. Miss Elsie FitzGerald
  9. Colonel Arthur Collins
  10. The Bishop of Ripon
  11. the Rev. Prebendary Gowring
  12. the Rev. D. H. Spencer
  13. the Rev. A. C. Bragge
  14. Viscount Bridport
  15. the Marchioness of Hertford and Lady Victoria Seymour
  16. Colonel the Hon. A. W. A. N. and Lady Maria Hood and the Misses Hood
  17. Captain and the Hon. Mrs. Gye
  18. the Hon. Alexander, the Hon. Alfred, and the Hon. Victor Nelson Hood
  19. the Hon. Harriet Phipps
  20. Miss Ferguson of Pitfour
  21. Mrs. Boyd Carpenter
  22. Miss Eleanor Evans
  23. Mrs. and Miss Fitzgerald
  24. Miss Thomson
  25. Miss Campbell

AnthologyEdit

From the Pall Mall GazetteEdit

<quote>At the old church of St. Thomas Winshmam, Somerset, early this forenoon, the quiet wedding, owing to recent bereavements in the families, took place of Mr. William Herbert Evans, of Forde Abbey, near Chard, and the Hon. Rosa Penelope Hood, who has been Maid of Honour to her Majesty since 1886. The church was splendidly decorated with palms, exotics, and rare orchids. The Bishop of Ripon officiated, assisted by the Rev. G. J. Gowring, M.A., Prebendary of Wells. The bride arrived with her father, Viscount Bridport, who gave her away. The bridegroom was supported by Colonel Arthur Collins as best man. The bridesmaids were Lady Victoria Seymour, Miss Ferguson of Pitfour, Miss Sybil Amy Hood, Miss Mabel Louise Gye (nieces of the bride), Miss Fitzgerald (cousin of the bridegroom, who were charmingly dressed in skirts of fancy figured white merv, the bodices being of fancy gauze chiffon, with sash and collar of moire. They wore hats of white satin straw, trimmed with moire, and ornamented with white wild roses, in compliment to the bride's name. The bride was attired in a handsome dress of ivory satin, with very full square Court train, profusely ornamented with rare old rose point lace, festooned with natural orange bloom. She wore sprays of natural orange blossoms in her hair, surmounted with an exquisite bridal veil. Her ornaments were the brooches, the much-valued presents of the Queen and the Princess of Wales; a diamond tiara, the gift of the bridegroom, and an emerald and diamond necklace. Rare exotics and orchids in foliage composed her bridal bouquet. After the ceremony the bridal party adjourned to Cricket St. Thomas, where Viscount Bridport gave a breakfast, which was attended by only immediate relations and friends of both families. The presents, which numbered about five hundred, included gifts from the Queen, the Princess of Wales, Princess Christian, Princess Louise, and Prince and Princess Henry of Battenberg.</quote> (MoaMoH)

From the Morning PostEdit

<quote>Mr. W. Herbert Evans, of Forde Abbey, Chard, and Wimbledon Park House, was married to the Hon. Rosa Hood, youngest daughter of Viscount Bridport, and Maid of Honour to the Queen, in Cricket St. Thomas Church, near Chard, yesterday. The ceremony was quite private, and only members of the family and a few friends were present, owing to the recent death of Mrs. Bertram Evans. The bride wore a dress of ivory satin, with full Court train, trimmed with antique rose-point lace and orange blossoms, a spray of the latter in her hair, and a Brussels lace veil. Her ornaments included a diamond and ruby brooch, from her Majesty; a sapphire and diamond crescent, from the Princess of Wales; a diamond tiara, the gift of the bridegroom; and diamond and emerald necklace, given by the late Mrs. Bertram Evans. The bride's train was held by her nephew, Master Alexander Gye. The bridesmaids were Miss Ferguson of Pitfour, Lady Victoria Seymour, Miss Sybil Hood, and Miss Mabel Gye, nieces of the bride; and Miss Elsie FitzGerald, cousin of the bridegroom. They were dressed in white figured satin, trimmed with moiré, with sashes to match, and hats of white chip with a large moiré bow and pale pink wild roses. The bridegroom presented them with gold cable bracelets with initials and date, and they carried bouquets of flowers. Colonel Arthur Collins attended the bridegroom as best man. The Bishop of Ripon officiated, assisted by the Rev. Prebendary Gowring, Domestic Chaplain to Lord Bridport; the Rev. D. H. Spencer, rector of the parish; and the Rev. A. C. Bragge. Lord Bridport gave his daughter away. Those present at the wedding comprised the Marchioness of Hertford and Lady Victoria Seymour, Colonel the Hon. A. W. A. N. and Lady Maria Hood and the Misses Hood, Captain and the Hon. Mrs. Gye, the Hon. Alexander, the Hon. Alfred, and the Hon. Victor Nelson Hood, the Hon. Harriet Phipps, Miss Ferguson of Pitfour, Mrs. Boyd Carpenter, Miss Eleanor Evans, Mrs. and Miss Fitzgerald, Miss Thomson and Miss Campbell. Mr. and the Hon. Mrs. Evans left after luncheon for Scotland. Among the royal gifts received by the bride, in addition to those worn on her marriage, were an Indian shawl, from the Queen; a marqueterie clock, from Princess Christian of Schleswig-Holstein; a sapphire ring, from the Grand Duke and Princess Alix of Hesse; four silver-gilt saltcellars and spoons, from Princess Louise Marchioness of Lorne; a diamond and turquoise brooch, from Prince and Princess Henry of Battenberg; a tortoiseshell and silver tray, from the Duchess of Albany; and a pair of silver sconces, from Prince and Princess Louis of Battenberg.</quote> (AfTD)

Questions and NotesEdit

BibliographyEdit