Self-determination theory suggests that there are three important ingredients for psychological well-being and which foster intrinsic motivation:
- Autonomy - Having a sense of personal control over life circumstances
- Competence - Having sufficient skill and knowledge to handle life circumstances
- Relatedness - Having at least some warm, positive, supportive relationships
Deci and Ryan (2000)'s taxonomy of motivation describes a motivational spectrum that includes amotivation, four types of extrinsic motivation, and intrinsic motivation.
- Intrinsic motivation
- Self-determination theory (Wikipedia)
- Self-determination theory (selfdeterminationtheory.org)