Welcome to the School of Marine Sciences here at Wikiversity! This school is part of Wikiversity's Interdisciplinary Studies portal, a categorization that reflects the broad range of topics studied within the school. This School is for those who are interested in any and every aspect of the ocean. Marine scientists may study the physics of fluid dynamics, the ecology of marine organisms, naval engineering or a variety of other subjects. The School of Marine Sciences encompasses both pure and applied science, and includes the departments of Marine Biology, Marine Chemistry, Marine Physics and Ocean Engineering and Naval Architecture.
The ocean is a rich, interconnected tapestry. As a result, we believe that a deep understanding of any subfield comes from a broad knowledge base. For example, a naval engineer might need to learn marine biology, in order to recognize the environmental impact of ships on the ocean's flora and fauna. We are committed to studying all aspects of the sea and the interrelationships between them, and we reject a reductionist approach.
Active Participants edit
Please re-sign (with a date stamp) your username here at least once each year. If your datestamp here is older than one year, you may be listed under inactive particpants.
- Since 27 February 2013 with contributions to Oceanography --Marshallsumter (discuss • contribs) 02:43, 17 April 2018 (UTC)
Inactive participants edit
- User:Jimbobalina2005 (listed here at least on or before 13 September 2006)
- User:D_Richins_Nukka (listed here at least on or before 5 April 2007)
- User:Chocoman (listed here at least on or before 2 September 2007)
- User:Sajo (listed here at least on or before 28 October 2009)
- AFriedman (listed here at least on or before 24 November 2010)
- -gustable (listed here at least on or before 12 June 2016)
Things you can do! edit
- Clean up Draft:Hydromorphology and move it to become a subpage of a supporting main page learning project.
- Clean up Draft:North Sea continental shelves and move it to become a subpage of a supporting main page learning project.
- Clean up Draft:Oceanography and move it to become a subpage of a supporting main page learning project.
- Clean up Draft:Reef geomorphology and move it to become a subpage of a supporting main page learning project.
- Clean up Draft:South east African continental shelves and move it to become a subpage of a supporting main page learning project.
School News edit
- 1 September, 2006 - school founded!
Wikiversity has adopted the "learning by doing" model for education. Lessons should center on learning activities for Wikiversity participants. Learning materials and learning projects can be used by multiple departments. Cooperate with other departments that use the same learning resource.
Learning materials and learning projects are located in the main Wikiversity namespace. Simply make a link to the name of the lesson (lessons are independent pages in the main namespace) and start writing!
Learning materials edit
- Introduction to the naval engineering
- Introduction to sea ice
- Comparative Neuroscience - largely about marine animals
Relevant Wikipedia articles edit
- Marine science
- Marine biology
- Marine geology
- Chemical oceanography
- Physical oceanography
- Fish diseases
Learning projects edit
- The oceans' contribution to the Earth System (Gaia)
- Aquaculture - Economic, Political, Social and Scientific Perspectives
- Developing an integrated study program for the marine sciences