Three basic types of research can be identified:
- Experimental - Characterised by random assignment to groups, with full control over extraneous variables, and manipulation of independent variables
- Quasi-experimental - Characterised by the study and comparison of naturally-occurring groups
- Non-experimental - Characterised by study of a single sample, without comparison between groups
For some examples, and to test your knowledge, see the quiz.
- Types of research (alzheimer-europe.org)
- Research types (heart.org)
- Types of Research within qualitative and quantitative (wisc.edu)