Motivation and emotion/Tutorials/Psychological needs
Tutorial 04: Psychological needs
|Resource type: this resource contains a tutorial or tutorial notes.|
This is the fourth tutorial for the motivation and emotion unit of study.
This tutorial is complete for 2022.
This tutorial provides an interactive discussion about:
- basic psychological needs
- taxonomy of motivation
- topic development checklist
Brainstorm and discuss:
What are needs?
How do needs differ from desires, wants, likes etc.?
What types of needs are there?
What are the basic psychological needs?
Taxonomy of motivationEdit
What characterises extrinsic motivation? e.g.?
What characterises intrinsic motivation? e.g.?
Advantages of the I-E motivation distinction?
Disadvantages of the I-E motivation distinction?
Types of motivation described by Deci and Ryan (2000)?
Topic development - ChecklistEdit
- Use the correct title and sub-title (use sentence casing)
- Create a heading structure - at least 3 to 6 top-level headings between the Overview and Conclusion - may include sub-headings
- At least 3 dot points per section, including before branching into sub-headings; Cover theory, research, and application
- Embed and caption (Figure 1 ...) a relevant image
- Provide at least 1 internal link (See also) and at least 1 external link (External links)
- Include at least 3 citations and references (References)
- Make at least 1 social contribution and summarise it on your user page
- Check the marking criteria
For more info, see the topic development author guidelines.
- Tutorial 04 recording (2022)
- Additional tutorial material
- Physiological needs (Previous tutorial)
- Functionalist theory and self-tracking (Next tutorial)
Deci, R. M., & Ryan, E. L. (2000). Intrinsic and extrinsic motivations: Classic definitions and new directions. Contemporary Educational Psychology, 25(1), 54-67. https://doi.org/10.1006/ceps.1999.1020 Full pdf
- Promoting motivation, health, and excellence (Ed Deci, 2012, TEDx, YouTube 14:05 mins)