Lunar Boom Town/Theme Park Rover Maintenance
General Background edit
A lot more people are casually interested in the moon than can afford a visit in person. Terran theme parks have expressed an interest in providing virtual teleoperations booths where customers can pay for the privelege of operating a lunar rover and exploring the lunar landscape. Such vehicles are also useful to prospectors, research teams, survey teams, and other interested parties.
These vehicles must be designed and constructed, delivered to area of operations, repaired and maintained according to the requirements of individuals, research teams and businesses.
Design and new construction is typically performed on Earth and delivered to Lunar Boom Town for servicing and placement or sometimes delivered to custom sites via dedicated delivery mechanism.
Services Provided edit
Used rovers are recycled and remanufactured at our facility. Used rovers are salvaged. Operational rovers are recovered, serviced, delivered back to operational area.
Remote Tourist Rover Design Study edit
We need a preliminary design for our tourist rovers to be able to project costs and revenues.
Some Possible Learning Activities edit
- Draft a near term business plan to remotely operate tourist rovers in theme parks. Note this activity requires no manned prescence on the moon although it will be expensive to abandon rather than repair damaged rovers.
- Participate in mission analysis and specification of required rover capabilities at http://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Rover_Mission_Analysis_and_Design
- Draft a business plan to operate a rover service station at Lunar Boom Town.
- Start a page at the Lunar Boom Town project to draft a business plan to operate a rover retrieval service using either a rocket powered lunar hopper or a surface transport.
- Request and/or participate in an engineering design study at http://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Portal:Engineering_and_Technology for a specific transport vehicle useful in one of the above activities.
- Other as you devise and post here.
Applicable Information Resources edit
Wikiversity course in rover mission specification and rover design. Rover_Mission_Analysis_and_Design