Welcome to the Hindi Department at Wikiversity part of the Center for Foreign Language Learning and the School of Language and Literature.
Hindi is a dialect of the Hindustani language group native to the region around Northern India. In accordance with the Constitution of India, Hindi is the official language of the Indian government along with English. Hindi is also the first language of 180 million people in India, with another 300 million Indians speaking various other dialects. Various dialects belonging to the same language group are also spoken in Pakistan, Nepal, Fiji, Mauritius, and many other countries where Indian people have migrated.
Hindi was formed by the injection of Persian into local Indian dialects, especially Sanskrit. It is written in the Devanagari Script, a derivative of Sanskrit, and uses both Sanskrit and Persian words to form its vocabulary. In modern times Hindi has also begun to borrow large numbers of words from English.
Instructions for viewing and writing in the Devanagari script.
Hindi for Travelers
- Travel Hindi 1 - Basic Hindi for people traveling to India
- Travel Hindi 2 - Advanced Hindi for people traveling to India
- Janmaanas Ek Hindi Manch(Hindi Language Forum)
- Hindi Verbs - Quick reference on verbs, conjugation, and grammar
- The Hindi Script - Learn to read and write in Hindi.
- Hindi 1
- Hindi 2
- Hindi 3