Department of Occupational and Environmental Health Sciences, University of Panamá
- The mission is to contribute to a healthy and safe working and living environment in Panamá by teaching, training, research and dissemination of research
- The vision is to produce and disseminate knowledge to be used for risk prevention in workplaces, authorities, medical clinics, hospitals and others for a healthy environment.
- The “environment” includes workplace, air, water, soil, social and cultural, economic, environment, and environmental stress.
- Through our research and by supplying new knowledge from outside we improve understanding of how the environment can affect health and to change the hazardous environments.
- Through our teaching we educate specialists in occupational and environmental medicine, scientists and policy makers.
- Homologation of the CSS occupational medical specialists
- The residency program for the occupational medical specialty
- Continuing education in occupational medicine
- Pre- and postgraduate training in research
- Research in occupational- and environmental health
- To attract and educate researchers and specialists
- To do research and to disseminate research on the highest international scientific standard
- Implementation of evidence based medicine in patient care, teaching,research, information and dissemination of health prevention
- To release "Preventive Health Science" journal, regularly
- Collaboration with other medical specialties i.e. pediatrics on congenital malformations and pesticide exposure
Aims in research and teachingEdit
- To use evidence-based approach in the clinical, teaching and research activities.
- To include the WHO definitions and guidelines for primary, secondary and tertiary prevention.
- To inspire and help students and health professionals to start their own research project and Thesis.
- To do occupational epidemiological surveillance