Participants in this learning project are encouraged to explore:
What is cognition?Edit
- Cognition is a general term for all forms of knowing (e.g. attending, remembering, reasoning and understanding concepts, facts, propositions, and rules).
- Cognitive processes are how you manipulate your mental contents.
- Cognitive psychology is the study of cognition.
- Cognitive science is an interdisciplinary field that extends the principles of cognitive psychology to other systems that manipulate information.
Cognition and the brainEdit
Non-invasive brain scanning allows correlations to be made between human conscious experiences and patterns of brain activity. Studies of both visual and auditory perception allow distinctions to be made between brain regions that do and do not show activity patterns that correlate with conscious experiences. Results from study of brain lesions, application of drugs, and electromagnetic disruption of the function of specific brain regions can be interpreted in combination with results from brain scans.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle
- Reflections of other minds: how primate social cognition can inform the function of mirror neurons by Derek E Lyons, Laurie R Santos, and Frank C Keil.
- Life, chemistry and cognition: Conceiving life as knowledge embodied in sentient chemical systems might provide new insights into the nature of cognition by Ladislav Kováč.
- 7 Functional neuroimaging: linking brain anatomy to cognition by K E Stephan.
- Neural correlates of the visual vertical meridian asymmetry by Taosheng Liu, David J. Heeger, and Marisa Carrasco in Journal of Vision (2007) Volume 6: 1294–1306.
- Hierarchical Processing of Auditory Objects in Humans by Sukhbinder Kumar, Klaas E Stephan, Jason D Warren, Karl J Friston and Timothy D Griffithsin in PLoS Comput Biol. (2007) Volume 3:e100.
- Cognitive psychology
- Psychology 102/Lectures/Cognitive processes
- Topic:Cognitive psychology
- List of cognitive biases
- Aging and memory
- Animal cognition
- Animal communication
- As We May Think
- Cognitive bias
- Cognitive dissonance
- Cognitive radio
- Cognitive space
- Cognitive style
- Concept learning
- Decision making
- Educational psychology
- Emotion and memory
- Emotional stroop
- Functional neuroimaging
- Gestalt effect
- Holonomic brain theory
- Information foraging
- List of cognitive scientists
- Memory-prediction framework
- Molecular Cellular Cognition
- NLP meta programs
- Numerical Cognition
- Personal knowledge management
- Philosophy of mind
- Santiago theory of cognition
- Theory of Cognitive development
- Theory of mind
- Quantum mind
- Cognition An international journal publishing theoretical and experimental papers on the study of the mind.
- Cognitive Processing - Quarterly, Springer
- Information on music cognition, University of Amsterdam
- Emotional and Decision Making Lab, Carnegie Mellon, EDM Lab
- cognition in the CALT encyclopedia
- The Limits of Human Cognition - an article describing the evolution of mammals' cognitive abilities
- Infoactivity Cognition genesis investigation
- IT congnition blog 
- Cognitie.NL Information on cognition research, Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO)
- Cognitive Health Roadmap by CDC and Alzheimer's Association - an article on their joint initiative
- What is cognition? An article from the Current Biology magazine