Lesson plan: 7th grade middle school * Ceramics*
- Vocabulary Words… Modeling, slab construction, slip& score.
Unit: Nature – Animals and their environment.
- During this project the creator will LEARN & CREATE…
- You will CREATE an animal of your choice and the animal’s environment.
- Also you will LEARN craftsmanship in forming clay.
Materials needed for this cool projectEdit
- Masking Tape
- Plastic bags
- Rolling pins
- Guide stick
- Slip dishes
- Modeling tools
- Texture gadgets
- Water colors
- elastic, durable and closable rubber
- Gloss varnish
FINALLY steps or proceduresEdit
- Brain storm for great ideas or think about your favorite animal.
- Sketch your animal, and the environment (plan what will be in the environment).
- Use a newspaper to make humps for the body of the animal.
- Roll out a slab of clay for the body, then drape over newspaper hump.
- Use the pinch pot method for the head -out of a ball of clay- insert your thumb and thin walls out. Then shape the head of the animal.
- Imagine the way animals lay and stand. (Make the legs and arms with clay coils)
- You can use a pencil eraser to form the eye sockets. This will also help you begin forming the nose & cheekbones.
- Think about other things that makes animals different… wings, tails, ears .etc. *DON’T FORGET TO SLIP & SCORE TO ATTACH CLAY PIECES!
- The base of the animal comes next although it must be smaller than (9”x12”) slip& score 1st then attach your animal to the base.
- You can use clay tools to add textures to your animal and to the environment.
- Next, carve your name gently on the bottom of the base with a pointed stick.
- Allow your animal to dry, then bisque fire. After you can paint t with watercolors or medium gloss.
- ENJOY YOUR KNEW PROJECT.