This is a list of very important books that everyone interested in learning architecture should know. They are usually part of architecture courses in the whole world.
- Lessons for Students in Architecture, by Herman Hertzberger - Hertzberger is a world-famous dutch architecture teacher, and this book, full of techniques and methods for making architecture projects, is considered a must-read by many architecture schools, if not all of them. Hertzberger is considered a master at studying the function of architecture in an urban environment.
- Architecture: Form, Space, & Order, by Francis D. K. Ching - is another bible for architects, it explains a lot of formal rules, order and mechanisms used when doing architecture, and the interaction between formal rules and function in architecture.
- Towards a new architecture, by Le Corbusier - This is a manifest that Le Corbusier, one of the fathers of the Modernism wrote. It is a key to understand our post-modernism current time, and what modernism changed in the paradigms used by architects.
- The art of projecting architecture by Ernst Neufert - A very practical book about designing with human proportions in mind, full of examples and precise measurements.
This is a list of more secific books that usually are considered important as someone advances on the path of architecture.
- The image of the city, by Kevin Lynch - A reference in analyzing the city and what makes distinctive points "urban marks" for its inhabitants
- Learning from Las Vegas, by Robert Venturi - This is a very important book about how architecture can cope, deviate or stand out against rules and classical orthodoxy.
- Urbanisme, utopie et réalités, by Francoise Choay
- The death and life of great american cities, by Jane Jacobs
This is a collection of world-recognized architecture publications.
- El Croquis (Spain) - http://www.elcroquis.es/
- Architectural Record (USA) - http://archrecord.construction.com/
- Architectural Review (UK) - http://www.arplus.com/home.htm
- L'Architecture aujourd'hui (France) - http://www.jeanmichelplace.com/fr/revues/fiche.cfm?ProduitCode=13
- Techniques et Architecture (France) - http://www.techniquesarchitecture.com/
- Architecture Week (USA) - http://www.architectureweek.com/ - This one can be read online freely
- GA Houses (Japan) - http://www.ga-ada.co.jp/english/ga_houses
- GA Document (Japan) - http://www.ga-ada.co.jp/english/ga_document/
- A+U (Japan) - http://www.japan-architect.co.jp/english/1all/top_frame.html
- L'Arca (Italy) - http://www.arcaedizioni.it/web_pages_IT/main/index.htm
- Detail (Germany) - http://www.detail.de/thema_architecture-magazine-construction_57_En.htm
- 2G (Spain) - http://www.ggili.com/2G.cfm?IDIDIOMA=EN
- Arquitectura viva (Spain) - http://www.arquitecturaviva.com/avProyectos/Default.asp
- A10 (Netherlands) - http://www.a10.eu/
More in this Wikipedia article