I am a custodian at Wikiversity, which means that I generally help clean this place up and offer advice to people to need it. As a custodian my particular interests extend to:
- maintaining and promoting the ease of use of Wikiversity
- maintaining and promoting the integrity of Wikiversity
- by vandal fighting and recent changes patrolling
- by contributing to policy formation and discussion
As an editor, I am interested in elearning, which is why I came here in the first place.
I am a rather poor mediawiki hacker, which means that I have my own MediaWiki installations, play around with their programming a lot, and sometimes write or help with extensions to the MediaWiki engine.
Other Wikimedia accountsEdit
Since the introduction of the single unified logon, so far as I know, every single other "McCormack" on other Wikimedia projects is me. I edit sometimes on meta, commons and mediawiki, but not usually elsewhere.
The purpose of this section is partly so that I do not forget what I have done and can follow up on my activities. One of our biggest problems at Wikiversity is "creating a page and then forgetting about it". I find this list more useful than a watchlist. Overall, if you look at my contributions, you will probably see that I rarely edit in the main namespace and mostly edit in the Wikiversity: and Template: namespaces with occasional outings to the Portal: and Category: namespaces.
- wrote the first help page for the quiz extension (with a lot of help from Michael Frey); see Help:Quiz.
- contributed a didactic analysis of the use of the quiz extension.
- started the quiz learning project.
- attempted to write an NPOV introduction to open educational resources.
- known to occasionally rampage through the Help, WV and Template namespaces in the name of order and cleanliness, accidentally introducing spaces where they don't belong and screwing up some templates.
- initiated a proposal for a pre-tertiary portal.
- redesigned the main page (most megalomaniac activity to date); many thanks to User:Eadthem for cleaning up the formatting. The templates in this category Category: main page templates are mostly my creations.
- rewrote Wikiversity:Learning projects.
- created some rather large navigation templates: Template:About Wikiversity, Template:Using Wikiversity, Template:Administering Wikiversity, Template:Learning innovation, .
- standardising the main portal design.
- expanded the Wikiversity maintenance hub into a new concept.
- wrote an introduction to Wikiversity for teachers.
- rewrote the SubPageList Extension for Wikiversity.
- How to be a Wikimedia sysop
- wrote the first version of Wikiversity:Learning resources.
- reconceived Wikiversity:Participants.
- started Wikiversity: Vision 2009.
- began a redesign of the portal system, including follow-ups on my proposals for pre-tertiary portals: Template:Box portal skeleton 2, Template:Gateways
- EMAC, Educational Media Awareness Campaign
- Category:design templates
- started the Wikiversity Guided Tours programme: Category:Guided tours of Wikiversity; Template:Tour page wrapper (well, the idea is partly taken from Cormaggio's original introduction to Wikiversity).
- Initiated Category:Resources by completion status and wrote Help:Resources by completion status.
- Conceived and started the project boxes project.
- Wikiversity:Wikiversity Day
- Reinvigorated Wikiversity:Featured
- Help:How to write an educational resource
- Help:Resource types, Help:resources by type
- Wikiversity:What shall we do with Wikipedia?
- Help:101 things to do with your class on Wikiversity
- Learning to edit a wiki/Lesson plan A, Learning to edit a wiki
- Wikiversity:individualism versus collectivism in resource creation and usage, Wikiversity:communities
- Wikiversity:hierarchicalism versus egalitarianism in resource creation and usage
Favourite quotes heard around WikiversityEdit
- "Taking copyright advice from a free-software activist is sort of like learning about evolution from George Bush" (Anon.)
- "Wikiversity - the wiki'd way to learn." (Originally contributed by a witty vandal)
I know some people laugh a little about awards sometimes, but I like these things, if I've earnt them, and I also like to give them out. The nicest awards are the ones which come really unexpectedly after you've done so much work that your mind is quite lost in the work.
|The Original Barnstar|
|For boldly making major improvements to the main page. mikeu 16:28, 14 December 2007 (UTC)|
- User Edit Counter
- http://tools.wikimedia.de/~luxo/contributions/contributions.php - track universal contributions by user
- /Mop and bucket
- Guide to templates
- Category:Main page templates
- Category:Introductory articles in need of repair
- /policy on religious content
- w:Fields of science, w:List of academic disciplines
- Category:Hidden categories
- Template:ambox - general template for page notices
- Template:EasyNav, Template:EasyNavBar