Etymology is the study of the origin of words and their meanings. The nuances of language can be better grasped by users if the origin of the word or phrase used is understood. The coining of new words and phrases which conform to recognized patterns will help to enrich our experiences as writers, speakers and developers of this new world of WIKI.
- a "study of the historical development of languages, particularly as manifested in individual words" or
- an "account of the origin and historical development of a word"
is called an etymology.
Def. "[t]he humanistic study of historical linguistics" is called philology.
Def. the "study of dialects" is called dialectology.
- "etymology, In: Wiktionary". San Francisco, California: Wikimedia Foundation, Inc. 23 April 2015. Retrieved 2015-07-01.
- "philology, In: Wiktionary". San Francisco, California: Wikimedia Foundation, Inc. June 4, 2013. Retrieved 2013-06-08.
- Philology. Books.google.com. 2008-02-09. Retrieved 2011-07-16.
- "Philology, In: Wikipedia". San Francisco, California: Wikimedia Foundation, Inc. June 17, 2012. Retrieved 2012-06-19.
- SemperBlotto (20 July 2005). "dialectology, In: Wiktionary". San Francisco, California: Wikimedia Foundation, Inc. Retrieved 2017-07-09.